As temperatures remain below freezing, Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray has opened 15 warming centers throughout the township to offer residents some relief from the bitter cold.
Over a dozen senior centers and a town golf clubhouse will be open to the public as warming centers over the next couple of days.
“Frigid temperatures like we are experiencing now are not to be taken lightly,” stated Murray. “If residents need to get out of the cold, we encourage them to visit one of our 15 warming centers located throughout Hempstead Town.”
The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23 and Thursday, Jan. 24 (unless otherwise noted):
- Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Ave., Baldwin
- Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore
- Cedarhurst Seniors in the Park, Village Hall, 200 Cedarhurst Avenue, Cedarhurst (open until 4:30 p.m.)
- East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front St., East Meadow
- Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
- Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
- Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
- Hempstead Senior Center, 260 Clinton St., Hempstead (open on Wednesday only)
- Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
- Merrick Golf Course Clubhouse, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
- Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
- Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
- Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale
- Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale
- Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
“No one should be left out in the cold in the midst of such freezing temperatures,” concluded Murray. “The Town of Hempstead strongly urges those in need of heat to visit a warming center near them over the next couple of days."