A Rockville Centre resident was among those named by U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, last week as she announced her nominations of Long Islanders to the nation’s leading service institutions – the United States Air Force, Military, Naval and Merchant Marine Academies.
Dillon Burke, of Rockville Centre, was nominated for the United States Military Academy at West Point.
A selection committee formed by Gillibrand chose the nominees from a large group of qualified applicants. Decisions were based on criteria including academic record, leadership potential, and overall achievement. Final acceptance is determined solely by the service academies.
"Our Service Academies are distinguished by a devotion to honor, courage and commitment," Gillibrand said. "I am honored to nominate these young, talented New Yorkers who exemplify these core values. It is my hope that the accomplished nominees have the chance to live their dreams and serve in our country’s armed forces with distinction."
Also nominated from Nassau County were:
- Patrick Deegan (Lynbrook) United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Andreis Feder (Oyster Bay) United States Naval Academy
- Katharine Kopinski (Roslyn) United States Air Force Academy
- Rose Lee (Great Neck) United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Mary Catherine Zehnder (Carle Place) United States Merchant Marine Academy