The following information was supplied by the Lynbrook, Malverne and Nassau County Police Departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation, and does not indicate guilt.
LIRR Workers Accused of Stealing Copper
An organized ring of 15 Long Island Rail Road employees and two others were indicted Friday after belonging to the LIRR, according to Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice.
- Maria N. Griffin, 22, of Inwood, was arrested on Jan. 21 at 4:20 a.m. and charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon, a loaded .25 caliber Baretta handgun, on Endview Avenue in Lynbrook.
- Robert A. King, 21, of Lynbrook, was arrested on Jan. 22 at 4:45 p.m. and charged with Making a Punishable False Written Statement at Lynbrook Police Department Headquarters.
- Xuanzhi Liu, 37, of Flushing, was arrested on Jan. 23 at 9:15 p.m. and charged with Unauthorized Practice at 160 Lakeview Ave. in Lynbrook. Liu, while employed as a massage therapist at Jennifer Spa, allegedly performed a massage without being licensed by the State of New York.
- Caitlin D. Heitman, 25, of Lynbrook, was arrested on Jan. 24 at 5:10 p.m. and charged with Criminal Contempt at 2201 Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow.
- Francis R. Warner, 30, of Melville, was arrested on Jan. 25 at 11:01 a.m. and charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation and Expired NYS Inspection on Peninsula Boulevard in Lynbrook.
- Michael A. Fazio, 57, of Shirley, was arrested on Jan. 26 at 12:11 p.m. and charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation, Expired NYS Inspection and Uninsured Motor Vehicle on Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook.
- Alexander Martin, 40, of Lynbrook, was arrested on Jan. 27 at 2:15 a.m. and charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation, Suspended Registration and Failure to Signal Left Turn on Shipherd Avenue.
- Mario A. Garcia Jr., 25, of Arverne, was arrested on Jan. 27 at 9:10 p.m. and charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon, Aggravated Unlicensed Operation, Speeding, Uninsured Motor Vehicle and Insufficient Brake Lights on Merrick Road in Lynbrook.
- Kenson A. Hunte 30, of Queens Village, was arrested on Jan. 27 at 11:30 p.m. and charged with Criminal Possession of Stolen Property at the Lynbrook Capri Motor Inn located at 5 Freer St. in Lynbrook.
- At 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 23, the owner of Shake a Paw pet store, located at 1 Atlantic Ave. in Lynbrook, reported that an unknown person(s) pryed open the front doors to the puppy room and removed 18 puppies of various breeds valued at $21,000.
Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- A 16-year-old Lynbrook High School student reported at 2 p.m. on Jan. 24 that while walking southbound on Union Avenue and attempting to cross Roosevelt Avenue, he was struck by a gray, two-door pick-up truck. The pick-up was being operated by a white male in his late 30s with short dark hair.
- At 10:59 a.m. on Jan. 25, a complainant reports that an unknown person(s) stole their 2009 black Mitsubishi Outlander fom the parking area of Philips Plaza (603-693 Sunrise Highway). The vehicle is valued at $19,000.
- The manager of Asian Wok restaurant, located at 297 Broadway in Lynbrook, reported that at 11 a.m. on Jan. 22 that an unknown person(s) broke the glass front door window. The value of the door is $225.
- At 10:05pm on Jan. 26, a complainant reported that an unknown person(s) left harassing, threatening and annoying letters in their mailbox on Sherman Street.
- At 2 a.m. on Jan. 28, a complainant reports that an unknown person(s) pryed open the front door of their apartment located at 15 New St. and then damaged the interior walls and ransacked the apartment. The complainant reports that none of their property was taken and the cost to repair the damage is unknown at time of the report.
- A 16-year-old girl reports that while walking to school at 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 28, she was approached by a Hispanic male while crossing Earle Avenue at Sunrise Highway. The suspect, who was operating a yellow work van, asked the girl if she was Spanish and if he could talk to her. At that time she said "no" and continued to walk. The male continued to follow her and again stopped and asked to speak to her. She again said no and started to run through the Lynbrook Diner parking lot. The girl observed the male drive away back onto eastbound Sunrise Highway when she ran away from him.
- A complainant reported at 10:10 a.m. on Jan. 28 that an unknown person(s) spray-painted their building located at 690 Merrick Road in Lynbrook. The damage is valued at $100.
- At 12:06 p.m. on Jan. 16, a complainant reported that an unknown person(s) left a men’s 24-inch bicycle in front of their home on Bixley Heath in Lynbrook.