It turns out Wednesday night's fire on Lakeview Avenue may have been a result of the holiday season.
Rockville Centre Fire Department Chief John Busching said in a statement Thursday morning stating that "The cause of the fire [Wednesday] evening on Lakeview Avenue was determined to have started in the Christmas tree."
The fire, which took place at 82 Lakeview Ave., was the second fire at the residence since September 2011. Last year's fire started after what fire officials said was a short circuit in a television.
After Wednesday's fire, Busching has asked the public to make sure that their trees are watered daily, kept away from any heat source and not to use lights with worn or broken electric cords.
"People should always turn off tree lights before going to bed or leaving home," Busching said. "When the tree begins dropping needles it should be properly discarded."