News Alert
Cops: Brooklyn Woman Murdered Housemate, Spread…

RVC FD, PD Rescue Five From Early Morning House Fire

Fire officials said one woman suffered serious injuries and was transported to Nassau University Medical Center.

A fire that broke out in the living room of a Woods Avenue home early Tuesday morning killed two dogs and a cat, but local fire and police department officials saved a sleeping family of five.

Officials said one woman in the home was seriously injured with burns to her airway and suffered smoke inhalation. She was transported to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment. The other four were taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital with minor injuries and have since been released.

According to John Busching, chief of the Rockville Centre Fire Department, officials responded to the fire alarm at 98 Woods Ave. shortly after 5 a.m. The fire, which broke out in the the living room of the Ranch-style home, was "very hot and very smokey," Busching said.

Busching said three adults and two kids were sleeping at the time, and were rescued from the blaze by RVC firefighters and police officers. Firefighters went to the back of the home and used a ladder to get to the second floor. They pushed an air conditioner into a second-floor bedroom where they found a 9-year-old boy and took him to safety. Firefighters then found a 59-year-old woman in a second-floor bedroom. A 13-year-old girl was also rescued from the second floor.

Busching said the fire was under control within 15 minutes, but there was extensive fire damage inside the home. Firefighters had to tear down walls and ceilings to ensure that the fire had not spread to other parts of the home, he said.


Interested in Rockville Centre news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Rockville Centre Patch daily newsletter.


The chief said the fire did not appear to be suspicious in nature, but the Nassau County Fire Marshal is investigating.

For more pictures, click here, courtesy of Trustee Ed Oppenheimer.

Brian Aviles July 17, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Great Job By All Involved...Volunteers and Paid Professionals alike...it's nice to see that they Heeded the Call! (and no they are not federal government workers like our politicians are squabbling over...they are our Neighbors, Friends, & Family!)
Anthony July 17, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Great job! Thank you to all the volunteers! Yes, these men and women VOLUNTEER their time to help save lives. We may not hear about a fire everyday, but it is great to know that they are prepared for one when it occurs. Again, thank you to each and every one of the Vollies!!!
rvc parent July 19, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Yes great Job by all those involved (RVCPD and RVCFD). I just do not think however that what actually took place has been expressed enough. The members of the RVCFD who performed these rescues, not only volunteered their time in the middle of the night, nor did they just help put the fire out, but rather they placed their lives in extreme danger. They climbed to the 2nd floor of the home above a out of control fire. All of the rescues were made prior to water being placed in the hoseline and the fire being extinguished. The acts of bravery accomplished have received a fraction of the credit which is due to these individuals. Kudos to those who help protect and make our town a better place. But this event should have been reported on all media outlets not just the patch. The people of the village need to be made aware of what these VOLUNTEERS did !
Anthony Bottan July 19, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Well said. They do amazing work and deserve the recognition.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »